Tuesday 12/29 Torch Today – WWE split crew for SD TV taping, NYPD gets phone calls for McMahon arrest angle, Cena on “Today,” Lesnar-Sheamus, Hogan gives big endorsement, UFC vs. WWE 2015 revenue, Flair meets famous comedian, King Mo lands MMA victory, Rumble prop bets, Kincaid/CWE, more
PWTorch editor Wade Keller presents a special Thursday Flagship edition of the Wade Keller Pro Wrestling Podcast featuring a WrestleMania 36 Preview with ex-WWE Creative Team member and professional stand-up comedian Matt McCarthy.
(Search “wade keller” to subscribe in podcast app or CLICK HERE to subscribe in Apple Podcasts.)
Torch Today – Tuesday, December 29, 2015
– WWE has another split crew for Tuesday night’s events. WWE World Hvt. champion Roman Reigns and IC champion Dean Ambrose headline the Smackdown TV taping in Washington, D.C. This will be the final SD episode of the year and on Syfy. (TORCH READER ALERT: We’re looking for a report sent to firstname.lastname@example.org)
Also, John Cena and U.S. champion Alberto Del Rio headline a house show Tuesday night in Providence, R.I., as covered in-person by PWTorch columnist Sean Radican! Cena will be in Providence after starting the day on NBC’s “Today” show Tuesday morning. (Full Line-up for Providence)
What a night last night, now up and at it again! @TODAYShow here we come! Then off to Providence RI for @WWE #morningsuiteveningjorts #HLR
— John Cena (@JohnCena) December 29, 2015
– TMZ reports that people watching Raw called the NYPD after Vince McMahon’s arrest angle on Raw in Brooklyn. TMZ noted: “Cops began fielding calls after some really bad acting, where Vince stepped in to protect his daughter from some rent-a-cops.”
– It will be interesting to see the advertised Brock Lesnar vs. Sheamus match-up that was advertised for here in Houston next Friday. Sheamus has said in past interviews that he wants to face Lesnar at WrestleMania. For now, Sheamus will have to settle for a house show four hours away from the site of WM32.
– UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta told CNN that UFC’s year-end revenue total will be about $600 million. By comparison, it appears WWE will reach the $600 million mark this year after reporting total revenue of $542.6 million in 2014. (MMATorch Report)
At the end of the third quarter, WWE reported total revenue of $492.6 million, which was nearly $100 million ahead of last year’s nine-month output. Because of WWE out-pacing last year’s revenue totals, financial projections have WWE topping $600 million.
– Hulk Hogan checked in on Twitter Tuesday morning with a big endorsement of the revitalized Alberto Del Rio following Raw.
@VivaDelRio hard work really pays off,his incredible shape that he is in is very impressive,his work rate,timing,instinct,is main event
— Hulk Hogan (@HulkHogan) December 29, 2015
Times 10,I'm really impressed,that is what the business needs,more guys like him. Only respect/love, keep kickin ass. HH
— Hulk Hogan (@HulkHogan) December 29, 2015
– The New York Post noted that famous comedian/TV dad Bob Saget had a conversation with Ric Flair & Divas champion Charlotte at the Hunt & Fish Club in New York City on Saturday night. Flair & Charlotte were in New York for the WWE house show at Madison Square Garden. (Page Six Report)
– International oddsmaker 5Dimes published a batch of Royal Rumble prop bets after Monday’s Raw. Included are first-time vs. past winner winning the 2016 Rumble, will Rey Mysterio’s record time be broken?, Brock Lesnar vs. The Field to win the Rumble, and other items. Plus, betting on which Rumble entry number will produce the winner. The favorites are Entry #1 at +600 and Entry #30 at +450. (Thanks to PWTorch correspondent David)
– Canadian Wrestling’s Elite announced the return of rising independent wrestler Jason Kincaid for their Anniversary tour running mid-February in Canada. Already announced is Colt Cabana. (More Info at CWECanada.ca)
– Former TNA star King Mo scored a first-round knockout of Brett McDermott in the First Round of a Hvt. Division tournament at Tuesday’s Rizin fight card in Japan. King Mo, representing Bellator MMA, advances to Thursday’s semi-finals and potential finals.
After his HUGE KO victory, @KingMoFH has a message for you & the rest of the #RizinFF Tourney! #MOvingOn pic.twitter.com/W4x4XUEv1l
— Bellator MMA (@BellatorMMA) December 29, 2015